Nanaimo Yacht Club – Trainee School Manager 2018
Trainee School Manager
Start date – Early to mid-May preferred but no later than JUNE 4
Nanaimo Yacht Club (NYC) Sailing School is a not for profit organization that promotes competitive and recreational sailing. Nanaimo Yacht Club Sailing School provide CANSail dinghy, Paddle Canada Kayak and International Yacht Training Power & Sail Yachting Courses for ages 5 through adult. Our Sail Canada and International Yacht Training certified sailing school is active throughout the spring, summer and fall. April through November we provide internationally recognised sailing certifications, junior race teams, kayaking and paddle board trips.
All are supported by Sail Canada and International Yacht Training certified coaching staff.
NYC junior and water sports members can use our fleet of Club owned Optimist and 420 dinghies, kayaks and stand up paddleboards and two keelboats which are stored on the docks with direct access to Nanaimo harbour.
Our trainee sailing school manager working with our school programs; summer sailing camps and international gap year students. You must be available until August 31. Hours may include evenings and weekends as required. You will answer directly to the School Manager.
- Trained or Certified to CANSail 5 or 6 with a minimum of 3 years teaching experience
- CANSail instructor membership in good standing for 2018
- Pleasure Craft Operator Card
- Standard First Aid
- CANSail Safety Boat
- VHF radio license
- Must have been in full time education 2017/18 school year and returning to full time education in September 2018
The ideal candidate will have several years of sailing and teaching experience; an ability to motivate staff and course participants; have a mature attitude; be a team player and able to take on responsibility as well as having a friendly, trustworthy and honest personality.
You should be a solution oriented problem solver; even in challenging situations.
This position would suit a student either currently studying or about to start a course in – sports or other management, marketing, business or HR although this is not a pre requisite for your application.
Duties. Your duties will include –
- Assist in managing day-to-day operations of the sailing program
- Cover for the Sailing School Managers days off and teaching time away from the school
- Provide instruction and supervise sailing instructors daily activities; ensuring programs operate in accordance with CANSail standards
- Monitor student/instructor interaction to determine if appropriate teaching methods are being used
- Help the School Manager to evaluate instructors overall performances ensuring proper procedures are followed
- Comply with all on and off water safety procedures
- Report all health and safety concerns, hazards or suggestions promptly to the Manager
- Inspect boats and equipment daily; advising the Manager if repairs are required or if any equipment should be replaced
- Interact with students and parents, advising them of progress and discuss any issues of concern regarding the sailing programs
- Attend daily morning briefing and evening de-brief
- Complete all other reasonable tasks or duties assigned by the Manager
- Attend regular training; mentoring sessions and school events
- Updating our social media and school blog
- Learn; understand; be in a position to promote and talk confidently with the public about all the programs the school has to offer
- Mentor our trainee instructor, have an active role in goal setting, supervising training and holding regular development meetings
Wages and benefits.
You will be paid a competitive hourly wage depending on qualifications and experience + 4% holiday pay and a season end performance bonus of $1.50 per hour of the total hours worked during your employment.
You will receive mentorship and training from our School Manager.
Ongoing professional training will include team leading; sports development; scheduling; employment regulations; budget planning and staff management.
Free use of the clubs dinghies, kayaks and SUP’s during days off and evenings plus the opportunity to join our yacht training at significantly reduced prices.
To apply please send your resume and cover letter/email to firstname.lastname@example.org by March 13 2018.