Mobile Optimist Sailing School (MOSS) Host Communities Needed!
Do you live in a community that lacks sailing opportunities for kids and youth? Or know a community that would like to host a sailing program for 1 or 2 weeks? The Mobile Optimist Sailing School (MOSS) is looking for hosts for our 2019 summer programs and school camps!
MOSS brings sailing to kids and youth ages 6-14 in communities that do not have access to similar local sailing programs. The goal is that by hosting MOSS over a few summers, we can help support the development of a local sailing program in that community.
The Mobile Optimist Sailing School is a BC Sailing program that travels around BC teaching CANSail 1 and 2 in optimist dinghies. We run school groups in June, and one-week summer camps in July and August.
We have two trailers running concurrently to reach more communities across BC. Each trailer is equipped with 8 optis, 4 kayaks and 2 CANSail trained or certified instructors.
What BC Sailing provides:
- 2 CANSail trained or certified instructors
- 8 optimists
- 4 kayaks
- 1 coach boat
- Online registration system
- Resources to help promote the sailing camp – posters, social media posts, community activity guide blurbs
Host Community responsibilities:
- Sailing venue (can be a park, beach on a lake or ocean, or an existing sailing club – anywhere we can launch the boats!)
- Promoting the sailing camp in the community
- Providing at least one youth or adult volunteer for each week of the camp
- Accommodation for the instructors – this can be billeting with a local family, or helping to find appropriate accommodation elsewhere
MOSS Summer Camps can accommodate up to 22 sailors each week, with a minimum of 16 per week.
If you are interested in hosting MOSS in your community this summer, please email us at email@example.com!