BC Sailing MOSS Coordinator
POSITION: Mobile Optimist Sailing School Coordinator
BC Sailing is seeking an experienced instructor to coordinate the Mobile Optimist Sailing School program for the spring and summer 2019. This job is expected to be part time with flexible hours (approximately 10-15 hours per week) from March 15 through August 30, with 2 weeks of full-time work (40-hours per week May 27 to 31 and June 3 to 7). Preference will be given to applicants also wishing to work as a MOSS Instructor June through August.
The MOSS Coordinator will be required to be in Vancouver and/or Victoria for weeks in May and June, and at other times may work remotely. Preference will be given to applicants who are eligible to receive the Canada Summer Jobs Grant.
Minimum qualifications required:
- Certified CANSail 3 & 4 Instructor or higher
- Standard first aid or equivalent
- Valid PCOC
- Boat Safety certification
- Enhanced Police Information Check if over 18 years of age
- Valid driver’s license
- Preference for previous management or supervisory experience
- Results-oriented, able to set priorities and deliver consistently to a high professional standard
- Strong, open communicator
- Excellent organizational skills
- Aligned with BC Sailing’s mission, vision, and values
- Excellent decision-making skills with the ability to make recommendations and to use good judgment in assessing difficult situations
- Experience working with tools and light machinery
- Experience driving vehicles with a trailer
MOSS Coordinator responsibilities:
- Developing promotional materials for host communities
- Liaising with MOSS host communities
- Overseeing registration and troubleshooting
- Updating website as needed
- Preparing trailer and equipment for programs
- Running orientation week for MOSS instructors
- Supervising MOSS instructors, both directly as applicable and by phone/email
- Problem solving challenges and difficulties
- Other MOSS-related duties as required
- MOSS Coordinator will report to the Executive Director
Our programs start in June with school and community groups. Summer camps run Monday through to Friday in July and August. MOSS instructors travel around the province, visiting a variety of communities throughout BC and Yukon. Working with MOSS is a unique way to experience our beautiful province, while working with keen new sailors.
Start date: March 15, 2019 (dates may be flexible for the right candidate)
End date: August 30, 2019
Wages are competitive, including opportunity for professional development and paid training.
GUIDELINES FOR APPLICANTS
Please submit your cover letter and résumé along with salary expectations to firstname.lastname@example.org before noon on March 1, 2019. We thank all applicants for their interest however only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
Kids aged 6 – 14 are invited to Learn to Sail with BC Sailing’s Mobile Optimist Sailing School (MOSS) which travels to over a dozen selected communities throughout BC and Yukon each summer.
Our Sail Canada endorsed camps provide affordable, fun, safe, and educational day-camps for youth both on and off the water.
There are two programs offered:
- Summer Camps: 5 days of sailing and kayaking activities throughout July and August (age range varies depending on location)
- School program: Introductory sailing programs for school classes Kindergarten through Grade 6 during the month of June.