Community Instructor Course Details
This year, we are running a community instructor course, June 1-2 at West Van YC.
Community instructors are “instructors in training” or trained instructors at a basic level to run programs at multi-sport camps or more remote areas where full CANSail programs might not be available. There are 3 levels of community instructor:
- Instructor in Training – those who are too young for to be CANSail 1 & 2 instructors
- Multi-Sport Counsellor – working at a multi-sport camp
- Community Instructor – volunteer or parent
Who can become a community instructor?
Anyone who meets the requirements can be a CANSail instructor! All CANSail instructors must the following prerequisite courses:
- Standard First Aid from a nationally recognized first aid provider (eg. Red Cross or St John Ambulance). Sail Canada does not accept online-only courses.
- Pleasure Craft Operator Card
- Enhanced Police Information Check (EPIC) for instructors ages 18 and older
- NCCP Making Ethical Decisions Module (part of the Fundamental Course if you choose to take that)
- Signed Instructor Code of Conduct
- Boat Safety (not required for instructor in training) – this is offered as a part of the 2019 Community Instructor course!
What are the requirements to become a Community Instructor?
Do I need to complete an evaluation to be Certified?
No, there is no Certified status for community instructors. Your level will expire after 3 years, and you will need to retake the course to recertify.