PHRF & ORC
2019 PHRF BC Spring Appeals
- Appeal #1 – Supporting Documents
- Appeal #2 – Supporting Documents #1, Supporting Documents #2
- Appeal #3
PHRF is a general rating system that provides the basis for fair racing between dissimilar yachts. The system is competitor driven and self regulating with variations used throughout North America.
The PHRF BC system is run through the PHRF BC Handicappers Committee. BC Sailing provides the administrative support to enact decisions made by the Committee.
The Committee is comprised of yachting industry professionals and experienced PHRF racers appointed to the Committee through their Yacht Clubs’ Fleet Captains. The Handicappers Committee Chair is chosen by the Committee members. Technical and administrative support for the Committee is provided by the Chief Handicapper who also works with BC Sailing to manage the PHRF rating system provincially.
Competitors are encouraged to familiarize themselves with the current PHRF BC Rules and then engage in continuing improvement by actively participating in refining the PHRF BC system and PHRF BC ratings in three ways:
1. Competitors are responsible for keeping the fleet honest. This is done by protesting any competitor at a specific event for sailing with any measurements different than shown on their current PHRF BC certificate or racing with no PHRF BC certificate where that is required by the Notice of Race of a given event.
2. Competitors are encouraged to appeal either their own rating or a competitors rating at the biannual Appeals if they feel there is a case to be made for an adjustment. With detailed current race results and fleet support an appeal will generally be granted.
3. All current certificate holders are encouraged to come forward with ideas to improve the PHRF BC Rules and their application. Ideas can be passed on to Club Handicappers or presentations can be made at the biannual Handicappers Meeting.
Fee: The current annual fee for a new application is $45.00. The fee includes one change per calendar year. Additional changes will be charged $45.00 per change.
Change Form Instructions: Current certificate holders are obligated to update their yacht’s information immediately on changing gear, sails or their yacht’s specifications (Rule 2.2). Please use the Application and Change Form making sure to indicate yacht name, sail number and class, indicate the changes made and complete the owner’s information section.
Rating Appeal Form – On completion please return to BC Sailing accompanied by all documentation as requested on the form.
Current PHRF BC Fleet Certificates – updated September 12th, 2019
Please search by the first letter of the boat name to view that boat’s current certificate. The fleet list can also be viewed in several formats below.
Forms, Tools and Explanations
- How to file a measurement protest under Rule 4.4: Protesting an invalid certificate
This quick guide explains how to protest a competitor for racing in a PHRF class without a current PHRF BC certificate or with sails/rig different than those identified on the boat’s current certificate.
- A Brief History of PHRF BC
- Sail Canada Sail Number Information
Sail Canada issues sail numbers directly. Numbers can be obtained via the application form located on the Sail Canada website at the page link above.
PHRF BC Handicappers Committee
- Chair – Dennis LeFeaux
- Chief Handicapper – Jason Vandergaag – (Vancouver Rowing Club, Squamish YC, Gibsons YC, Kitsilano YC, Garden Bay SC, Centennial SC, Stamps Landing YC, False Creek YC, Jericho Sailing Centre)
- TBA- (Royal Vancouver YC)
- Ian Lloyd – (West Vancouver YC)
- Trevor Salmon – (Deep Cove YC)
- George Streadwick – (Eagle Harbour YC)
- Al Whitfield – (Point Roberts YC, International YC)
- Jason Davies – (Tiddly Cove YC)
- Matt Wilson – (Kelowna YC, Penticton YC, Summerland YC, Vernon YC)
- Terry Waters – (Nanaimo YC, Campbell River YC, Schooner Cove YC, Garden Bay SC)
- Jack Stacey – (CFSA Victoria)
- Douglas Woolcock – (Saltspring Island YC)
- Roger Kibble – (Pender Island YC, Port Madison YC, Ganges Marina)
- John Windas – (Sidney North Saanich YC, Royal Victoria YC)
- Rod Martin – (Maple Bay YC)
Contact your Handicapper through your Club or email firstname.lastname@example.org