CANSail Head Instructor – Disabled Sailing Victoria
The Head Instructor coordinates Sail Canada’s CANSail dinghy program, recreation sails, and racing instruction and opportunities for people with disabilities in Victoria, B.C. The Head Instructor supervises and guides the Assistant Instructors and is responsible for coordinating and scheduling sails, help develop and implement the sailing program cirriculum for all levels of the sailing program, and generally oversee the day to day running of the DSA Victoria Sailing program. We seek a candidate with extensive sailing and teaching experience and a willingness to motivate and encourage the sailors. Candidates must be mature, a team player and willing to take on responsibility. They must also be willing to work with others, including other staff members, and the general public. The Head instructor will need a friendly, trustworthy and honest personality.
|Wage: $20.00/hr + 4% for holiday pay and MERCs
Employment Contract: Full Time for 15 weeks (May 19th-August 28th 2020 )
Requirements: Certified CANSail 3 and 4 Instructor certificate, PCOC, Standard 1st Aid/ CPR C, and Coach Boat Safety Course
Candidates must meet the Canada Summer Jobs
Grant eligibility: Youth aged 15-30 years
You will be:
- Working with children and adults with disabilities.
- Organizing, scheduling and running recreation sails, learn to race sails, and race nights.
- Coordinating and assisting in pre-season and post-season maintenance of boats and sailing equipment
- Conducting sailing lessons and outings.
- Ensuring the safety of sailors and volunteers during sails.
- Ensuring the care and maintenance of the boats and equipment within the fleet.
- Working with the sailor’s strengths and abilities to help each person succeed in reaching their goals.
- Assisting with DSA Victoria special events and activities.
- Perform additional duties as requested
Skills and Experience:
- Extensive sailing and teaching experience.
- Working experience and/or knowledge related to working with children and/or adults with disabilities is essential.
- Excellent supervisory and team management skills.
- Strong oral and written communication skills.
- Effective organizational skills.
- CANSail 3-4 instructor certification
- Current Standard 1st Aid & CPR-C
- Coach Boat Safety Course
- VHF license is an asset.
Please submit: a cover letter, resume and 3 references to Kirsty Jack, Director of Athletic Programming: email@example.com. Candidates will be reviewed as they are received and the position will remain open until filled.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted. Persons with a disability, Indigenous peoples and persons who are members of a visible minority are encouraged to apply.