Learn to Sail
Pleasure Craft Operator’s Card
Pleasure Craft Operator Card
A Sail Canada Certified Pleasure Craft Operator Card Instructor has the best training to teach you all you will need to know to pass the Transport Canada test.
You have four options:
1. Complete Course – The best choice and one that every boating family should take together
2. Refresher Course – For those who have taken boating courses before
3. Challenge Exam – Register for the test in your area
4. Use other Proof of Competency to obtain a card
We have professional instructors offering courses in your area right now.
An online course and exam is now being offered by CYA partner “Canadian Power and Sail Squadron”
Click here to Get Started Online.
What is Proof of Competency?
Proof of competency is required with all motor types (including electric trolling motors) and even when the motor is not in use (such as when sailing).
If you have completed one of the following courses and have documentation, it may be used as proof of competency.
- Sail Canada Basic Cruising Standard
- Sail Canada Basic Powerboat Standard
- Sail Canada Basic Outboard Standard
- Certificate from a Canadian boating safety course completed before April 1, 1999; including all Sail Canada (formerly Canadian Yachting Association) Cruising and Power Standards
For more information, please visit Sail Canada.
For more information on other acceptable proof of competency, please click HERE.
Have you already taken the Sail Canada (CYA) Pleasure Craft Operator’s Card course?
Would you like to purchase an additional replacement card? Replacement Cards cost $21.00 (including HST). Each additional card per person after costs $10.50 (including HST). Submit the form below to get youts.
It is our belief that a boater who has not received their PCOC would have contacted Sail Canada within a twelve-month period to inquire about the status of the card. Replacement Cards cost $21.00 (including HST). Each additional card per person after costs $10.50 (including HST). The PCOC Replacement Card fee will be levied on individuals with application forms fated prior to twelve (12) months of the request for a PCOC Re-Issue.
*page content from Sail Canada