The Pleasure Craft Operator Card is the document used by Transport Canada as proof of competency to operate a recreational boat with a motor. This is achieved through taking the boater safety course online or in person and passing the final exam.

Course Details 

Who Needs Proof of Competency in Canada?

All Canadian residents operating a power-driven boat on Canadian waters (except for Nunavut and the Northwest Territories) need to carry proof of competency.

Is the Pleasure Craft Operator Card the Same as a Boating Licence?

A Pleasure Craft Operator’s Card does not expire and therefore is not called a licence. Only a PCOC is required to legally operate a motor-powered boat on Canadian waters.

Transport Canada Test

Sail Canada has certified Pleasure Craft Operator Card instructors who will teach you all you will need to know to pass the Transport Canada test.

You have three options:

  1. Challenge Exam – Register for the test in your area
  2. Refresher Course – For those who have taken boating courses before
  3. Complete Course – The best choice and one that every boating family should take together

We have professional instructors offering courses in your area right now.

Click here to find an instructor

Click here to find a course

An online course and exam is now being offered by the Canadian Power and Sail Squadron – a CYA partner.

Click here to learn more

Already have your Pleasure Craft Operator’s Card, but need a replacement card?

Replacement cards cost $21.00 (tax included) with any additional cards costing $10.50 (tax included). To request a replacement card, fill out this form and send it to