BC Sailing has received several inquiries regarding the recent extension of the Provincial Health Orders (PHO). This newsletter is intended to help clarify sailing specific activities that are permitted under the PHO.
- Outdoor organized sport activities for adults (people aged 22 and over) are restricted to 4 or less people. For example, 4 singlehanded boats or 2 doublehanded boats.
- Training activities only.
- Crew should be household only at this time as participants must maintain a distance of 3 metres from one another unless everyone lives in the same private residence.
- Children and youth sport activities do not have the same gathering restrictions that adults do. Children and youth are permitted to gather in group sizes of up to 50 people, including coaches or organizers.
- 3 meters of physical distancing is required at all times. If physical distancing is not able to be maintained the activity is not permitted. Singlehanded sailing only unless both crew live in the same private residence.
- These restrictions apply to on-water as well as land-based training. Children and youth, in this instance, are people under the age of 22.
- Regattas are not currently permitted under the PHO, and as such are not currently being sanctioned by BC Sailing.
High Performance Exemption
- High performance athletes can train, travel and compete together. They must follow the COVID-19 safety protocols of the provincial or national sports organization they are affiliated with.
- To qualify as a high-performance athlete, you must be identified by the Canadian Sports Institute Pacific as a high-performance athlete affiliated with an accredited provincial or national sports organization.
BC Sailing Covid 19 Update
As of February 25, 2021 the Office of the Public Health Officer indicated that the current provincial restrictions are to remain in effect. In their statement, they said that they are closely monitoring cases and rates of transmission and are looking ahead as to when it will be it safe to increase our social interactions in a limited way, which could include opportunities for sport.
If you have any questions or concerns please feel free to contact BCSA by phone or email.